The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 18, 2010

I love animals, I eat meat

Recently I came across an interesting feedback after reading an article about animal abuse in Poland. “How can you, animal lovers, eat meat ? Why is a pig different than a dog for you ? Is pig worse ?” or something like that, indicating that those of us who love animals are hypocrites when eating meat. To tell you the truth, there is no difference. And if I were forced, I would eat a dog too. However, I stress the word FORCED. Why ? People should remember that we are animals who should eat MEAT and VEGETABLES in order to be healthy and live, as we are omnivores. That’s how nature has created us, people who eat only meat or only vegetables will never be as healthy, and won’t live as long as those who do. Both pigs and dogs are cute animals and very intelligent, yes pigs too are very intelligent and in some countries they are kept as domestic animals. But both are source of meat as well. The difference lies in our mental perception. In Poland nobody would ever try to eat a dog, and me neither. I guess that if humans in Poland were “evolving” and by “evolving” I mean development, cultural improvement, environmental adaptation etc. differently, maybe dogs would be an accepted source of meat, and nobody would be surprised seeing someone eat them. I’d like to stress here that I am against eating dogs in general and I will never understand some Asian people who do. I could never hurt one of my kind. As I cannot hurt any other animal, not even flies or mosquitos, these live shortly anyway. But I do eat pigs, chickens and fish, and at the same time I respect them. I am grateful that they share their goods with me and rest of the society. Of course I know the reality is brutal, those poor animals are often kept in very bad conditions, because the majority of humans see them only as meat. If it were up to me, I would treat them kindly, with respect and I would kept them in better conditions, in open spaces and feed them and clean them (I’ve seen the meat “factories” animals are cramped in tight spaces, unable to move, without sunlight, its horrible) and I would only kill one of them when I would need to, in order to survive. Still not convinced ? Some probably will think that it’s bestiality to eat pigs. But they should keep in mind that nature is filled with carnivorous animals which eat herbivores in order to live. However, there is one significant difference between humans and animals, which I mentioned before. Animals kill in order to survive or in self-defense. Humans kill for pleasure, or to steal animal fur or other things that are their pride. Humans can kill for meat out of need, but they shouldn’t kill animals for any other reason. That is something unacceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment